Its been quite a while since I posted something for the “about life” column. This post here has been written and rewritten in my head for a couple of weeks already. Maybe even a couple of months when I think about it. I somehow never managed to write it down because a. new thoguhts came up every once in a while and I felt like it was not “ready” yet, b. I was thinking about what kind of picture to add to this post and could not really come up with something right, and c. I really did not find the time in these past couple of weeks because I have been pretty busy getting the new blog layout ready.
But now to the real topic, the real question: What is LUXURY for you? I am curious so please let me know in the comments!
What is luxury for me?
Let me give you some examples of what luxury is for me.
- Luxury is taking a shower in my bathtub while the sun is shining into the bathroom and I am all in the sunlight.
- Luxury is playing on the playground with my little one on a normal weekday afternoon and not having to work.
- Luxury is to sit on my balcony on a sunny weekday morning and write my work emails from there while enjoying a smoothie made from organic fruit.
- Luxury is to be able to choose what I eat every day, to be able to prepare the food I LOVE with the ingredients I like best.
- Luxury is to spend an hour in bed every morning, cuddling and playing with my little one and my husband.
- Luxury is to have all the knowledge I have and to know that I can accumulate more knowledge on whatever topic if I wish to.
- Luxury is to be with the man I chose to be with and to have a most wonderful relationship with him.
- Luxury is to be free to travel to basically all countries of this world.
- Luxury is go outside every day and to feel safe, to breath clean air, and to be able to walk alone without feeling uncomfortable.
These are just some examples to give you an impression about what luxury is for me. As you can see it is not about chanel bags, cars or a huge house somewhere in a fancy neighbourhood.
Luxury is freedom to choose – to choose time over money, to choose where to go on this planet, to choose what to work, to choose who to marry and to choose to be happy.
Well this at least is how I see things.
When I look through blogs, I see a lot of “luxury” items. I see expensive watches, bags, shoes, dresses, whatsoever. And I read a lot of comments saying things such as “wow, I envy you for this and that”. But seriously, is it worth envying someone because of “luxury” items when thinking about what luxury really is? When I read through the posts of many blogs, I read about insecurity, about difficult relationships, about despair, about discontent, and fear. Not on all the blogs of course. But there are some. Is this then a luxury life? Having all this expensive stuff and showing off with it while being unhappy? I do not think so. No no no. This is not luxury for me. And never will be.
Luxury is to be happy with the life you have, with the body you have, with being you the way you are. Being satisfied with what you have – that is luxury. I am terribly happy with my life, my body, with ME. And this is the most precious feeling that no money on earth could ever buy. I am beyond grateful.